The mission of the SCP Older Adult Special Interest (OASI) Group is to bring together Counseling Psychologists to work with and on behalf of older adults, their families, and caregivers in a multicultural society.
Goals of OASI Group:
- Increase collaboration and peer support among Counseling Psychologists working with seniors and their family.
- Offer mentorship to early career psychologists and students in order to increase their interests and competency in the field of geropsychology.
- Share resources and opportunities related to geopsychology through listserv and an annual meeting.
- Advocate for the psychological/behavioral health and wellness needs and concerns of older adults in their diverse communities and care settings.
- Generate cross-sectional collaboration among Special Interest Group within Division 17 in order to enhance the “whole person” approach.
- Promote the issues related to aging and older adults within Division 17 activities and initiatives.
- Engage with other APA Divisions with similar interests include but not limited to Division 12, 13, 20, 22, 38, 42, 44, 45, and 46.
Division 17 OA SIG Leadership
Chair: Renee’ Zucchero, Ph.D., is an Associate Professor of Psychology at Xavier University in Cincinnati, OH. Her research focuses on interprofessional education and service-learning with college students and older adults. email@example.com
Programming Chair: Maggie L. Syme, Ph.D., M.P.H., is currently an assistant professor at Kansas State University in the Center on Aging, College of Human Ecology. Her research focuses on sexual health and aging and long-term care. firstname.lastname@example.org
Membership Coordinator: Kathy Ramos, Ph.D., is an Advanced Geriatrics Fellow in the GRECC at the Durham VAMC. email@example.com
Mentorship Co-Coordinator: Abby Altman, Ph.D., is an Associate Psychologist at Brigham and Women’s Hospital (Boston, MA) in the Department of Psychiatry. Within this role she serves as the Associate Director of Psychology Education and the Co-Director of the Geriatric Psychiatry clinic. firstname.lastname@example.org
Mentorship Co-Coordinator: Aarika V. White, Ph.D., HSPP, is a licensed psychologist in Indiana and works in private practice for Comprehensive MedPsych Systems, Inc. (www.medpsych.net). email@example.com
Student Representative: Shannon Patterson, M.Ed., is a pre-doctoral psychology intern at the Phoenix VA Health Care System where she provides mental health services to older adults in primary care. Her research focuses on the intersection of ageism and health status in individual psychotherapy and psychology trainees’ experiences on interprofessional health care teams. firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Representative: Janna Imel, M.S., is a 4th year Counseling Psychology graduate student at Virginia Commonwealth University. Her research focuses are behavioral sleep medicine in the elderly, mindfulness, and affect. Janna is currently completing an externship at Piedmont Geriatric Hospital where she provides mental health services to older adults in an inpatient setting. email@example.com
If you have questions, comments, or would like to join the Division 17 Older Adult Special Interest Group, please contact us!